Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My employer requires that I drive a company vehicle. The tags

My employer requires that I drive a company vehicle. The tags expired last month and I have no idea if the insurance is valid. What is my liability in this. I reside in Florida
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You are in a catch 22. As driver of the vehicle you are personally liable for the vehicle you are driving, even if it is your employer's vehicle. Unfortunately, while you can legally refuse to drive the vehicle that is illegal, the employer can as an at will employee legally fire you for refusing to do so and your only recourse would be filing for and collecting unemployment if you are eligible, because they could not deny you unemployment for refusing to break the law for the employer.

If you are stopped and given a ticket, you can sue your employer for any fines you have to pay if they refuse to give you the money to pay them (do not fall for them telling you they will go pay, because we have many customers whose employer told them that and they end up with a warrant against them), but you would still be liable to pay them and any points you might receive would still go on your driver's license report.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.