How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19743
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a roommate (used to be personally involved until April

Customer Question

Have a roommate (used to be personally involved until April 2011). He moved out then and asked to come back due to a hurricane and loss of power. Within 6 months our relationship tanked again and I asked him to move. He refuses to do so and we have no legal rent agreement. We live in a house I own and I want to sell it. He threatens to thwart the sale "because we have been together for over 5 years"... and he yells, throws things and has broken many of my possessions. How can I get him out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If there is no rental agreement between you and him and you no longer want him living there, he would need to vacate the property. The reason being, is that he does not have a legal basis to stay and you have advised him that he needs to leave. If he will not do so voluntarily, then you would need to go through the eviction process through the court. The clerk of court in the county where the home is located should have the forms for you to fill out and file, to start the process. He would have a right to defend the eviction but based upon what you described above, he has no legal basis to stay. The fact that you have dated for over 5 years is not relevant to anything and if his actions did hurt your chance at selling the home, you could sue him for damages suffered, along with the items that he has broken on his own. If violence does occur, 911 would need to be called but absent that, it is a civil matter and the police are not likely to get involved.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the papers for eviction but the process is ridiculous. Take time off work, pay a fee to file, go to court..... Can't I just have an attorney send him a letter to evict. He has only contributed $300.00 towards all household expenses since December 2012. He fishes every weekend, has a camper, truck, two boats but uses me for room and board because as he puts it, "he can". Keeps saying he's moving but makes no effort. He doesn't have the money to move on his own and this situation is making my life miserable.


Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Pam, thank you for the additional information. An attorney could send him a letter but there is no legal effect to it. He could just disregard the letter and throw it out, since he can not be forced out of the home, without court order. The cost to file and any other damages can likely be recovered during the process, so you should not be out that money. If you did not want to take time off work, which I can understand, you can always retain legal counsel to represent you and try to recover attorney fees from him as well.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19743
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your answer is what I have been told in the past but was hoping for a different opinion. My daughter can't understand why I can't get him out. He doesn't pay for anything. This is domestic crap that fills up the courtrooms and I don't want to be part of that scene.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
The law does not allow self help in a situation like this. What I mean by that is changing the locks and forcing him out, since if you did that, he could try and turn around and sue you, since it is illegal. The fact that he does not pay for anything nor has a right any longer to stay there is a basis for the eviction.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions