Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

Hello. My husband and I own and share one vehicle. My husbands

Hello. My husband and I own and share one vehicle. My husband's co-worker whom I suspect he may be having an affair with leaves her personal belongings such as clothing and other personal items in our vehicle that is registered in both my husband's and my name. I've asked my husband to tell her to kindly take her personal belongings home with her at the end of each work day, but for whatever reason he isn't enforcing this. Sometimes I need to use our vehicle and my husband is reluctant for me to use it because of her belongings in the vehicle. Also, sometimes when I do use the vehicle to transport my grandchildren, her belongings take up the whole back seat and floor area where I sometimes need to put the grandchildren's car seats. How do I get her to take her personal items home with her so that I can use the vehicle? Can I remove them myself? My husband says if I take the vehicle with her belongings in the vehicle than I am stealing her belongings even though the vehicle is not owned or registered in her name, but only me and my husband's name. What recourse do I have?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. It certainly sounds like your husband is being inconsiderate and unreasonable with you. Although at this point, you cannot throw her items away, since your husband took these items on as a "bailee," meaning that he acquiesced in holding her items for her. That said, you can take the items out of your car and leave them in the garage (if you have one) or on your husband's side of the bedroom, so that he can mess with them. That way,you have not thrown them away and they are still in safe keeping, but they do not have to be in your car.

The bigger issue here is why your husband is being this way and whether you can convince him in some way not to make you go through this ordeal for this rude person.

Please let me know if you have any specific follow up questions. for me. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. Is it okay if I bag her personal items up myself? Would I be able to drop them off at her house or would it be better to just put them in our garage?

Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Yes, you can bag it yourself if you want to. If you know her and she is "difficult" you might take a photo of her things in the car with your phone before you bag it so she doesn't try to accuse you of taking anything. You can drop it off at her house, but if you think this is going to cause an altercation, then you might just leave it in your garage or on your husband's side of the bedroom or bed. That way he will eventually get the message.
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.