Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My ex-landlord is threatening (VIA EMAIL) to file criminal

My ex-landlord is threatening (VIA EMAIL) to file criminal charges against me for fictitious damage to the property we leased that ended May 2013. I have witnesses to offer sworn statements these allegations are unfounded except one. which I'm willing to offer monetary (300) compensation for. She also states we had a utility bill in her name which I NEVER signed anything presuming to be them. What should I do ?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
The landlord can threaten to file a criminal complaint but if they actually did, it is very unlikely a prosecutor would file criminal charges since this is a civil matter. Most often the prosecutor would tell the person since this was incident to a lease, it is a civil matter and they would have to take it up in civil court if there are damages that any deposit did not cover.
.
So I wouldn't worry too much about any criminal charges actually being filed against you unless you just went in and trashed the place intentionally.
.
If you didn't transfer the utilities into your name immediately when you moved in, she could hold you liable for any bill that was in her name when you were living there.
.
As an aside, I have been a landlord for over 24 years.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No we were proficient in keep up her place. I am ex-military so my OCD borderlines on an all new clinical diagnosis of order (laugh).

Can I retain a lawyer to communicate with the ex-landlord and stop the communication with us? I ask because my fiancé has MS and this stress is really hurting her.

Ok, then you are in the clear. Apparently the landlord has some issues and is trying to drag you into them.
.
You can have a local attorney send a "cease and desist" letter that will basically say that if she contacts you further, you will file criminal charges against her for harassment. Once she gets the letter, that should convince her you are serious about her leaving you alone.
.
.
Thanks

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely and thank you for that piece of mind. I am going to pursue a lawyer to impose the " cease and desist "

You gave me well founded and great information.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help out...
.
.
Thanks again.