Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How do I subpoena the postal service as pro se individual?

How do I subpoena the postal service as pro se individual? How far in advance do I need to serve the subpoena? Any special method of service?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

What are you trying to obtain from the postal service and in what type of lawsuit?

Customer :

postal service supplied me with information in writing regarding forged documents used in an Affidavit of service presented to the court. I do not want any wiggle room for oposing counsel and wanted usps in court

JD 1992 :

So you are trying to subpoena someone as a witness to come to a hearing or trial?

Customer :

yes

JD 1992 :

Do you have a specific employee you are intending to subpoena?

JD 1992 :

And also, just to be clear, is the USPS or any other federal agency a defendant?

Customer :

U.S.P.S is not a defendant. Yes the individual who has examined the documents so far is the person I want to subpoena

JD 1992 :

The USPS has a very specific method of being subpoenaed. If you know the persons name you have to subpoena them through 39 CFR 256.13 which you can find at http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/39/265.13

JD 1992 :

You can use any process server authorized by the court.

JD 1992 :

That is if they are in the Inspection Service section of the USPS which is usually who responds to any requests you make.

JD 1992 :

If they are not a member of the Inspection Service then 265.11 covers them which you can see at http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/39/265.11

JD 1992 :

You will want to serve them at least 45-60 days in advance so that they have time to refer it to their Office of Counsel to look at it.

Customer :

The Inspection Service dept issued the document. I believe I have 2 weeks

JD 1992 :

IS usually does issue the document so just follow the steps shown in 265.13 and you're safe.

JD 1992 :

Issue it as soon as possible. 45-60 days is optimal but if you don't have that long then you don't have that long so do it ASAP.

JD 1992 :

Did you have anything additional I could assist you with before I exit to help others?

Customer :

Thank you

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and I wish you the best on this.

JD 1992 :

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating so I hey credit for my work.