dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

My husband and I were married three weeks shy of nine month.

My husband and I were married three weeks shy of nine month. He died from an apparent over dose and after 37 years it was finally ruled a suicide. Am I now eligible for survivor's benefits due to Suicide being considered a violent death and that seems to change the nine month ruling? I have recently applied for S.S and Medicare. Thank you, Debbie

Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

It sounds like you are at least age 60 since you said you applied for SS benefits. Accordingly, you could apply for your SS survivor benefits. However, if your own benefits would be more, you can only get the higher of the two and not a combination of the benefits.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to know if i will be eligible for survivor's benefits if only married for just over eight months. I understand if my husband met with a violent death this then would be the case. His death after 37years was just ruled a suicide by overdose.

You are correct in your understanding of the length of marrriage requirement as well as teh exception and you would be enttitled to survivor benefits.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I can be compensated for assisting you. I wish you well.