Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

i received an appearance ticket for taking $19 worth of goods

i received an appearance ticket for taking $19 worth of goods from a rite aid......I cannot afford my own lawyer but I fear a court appointed lawyer wont really help me.......what is your opinion on that......thank u
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Having been a former Public Defender, I can tell you that they are some of the most experienced and sharpest attorneys out there, for the most part. The good ones won't come up and hug you and sit down with you and talk about your family...they are simply too busy to do that. They will meet with you, go over your case, and explain your options. They will know what is going to happen in your case purely through experience in having handled hundreds if not thousands of cases virtually identical to yours. They will know about what the prosecutor will offer for a plea and what your chances are if you took it to a trial.
.
I can look at a case file with a charge like this and in about 30 seconds tell you if you have a chance and if not, about what offer the DA will make for a guilty plea. It is because I have handled hundreds and hundreds of cases like yours. I would regularly have 18-24 cases per day, 5 days a week. So you get to know the prosecutors really well and what they are going to offer in any given case.
.
So don't take the fact that they aren't spending a lot of time with you or are quoting caselaw to you to mean that they don't know what they are doing. If the attorney has been a PD for over a year or two, they will have handled probably a hundred or two cases like this and will know what is going to happen.
.
In my opinion, the PDs are definitely the most experienced attorneys out there and in many cases some of the best.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im just scared......I had a few dwis in 04, did state time, opened a few credit cards under my exs name, in 2010......im 62 years old and in counseling still regarding my divorce and children.......I am under psychiatric care for bipolar disorder, on meds.....also..........just did a stupid thing $19......in goods from Rite Aid down the street.......I hope I don't get jail time........I have pets and will lose my apartment...:(.....don't have money social security only

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is very unlikely that you would run the chance of any jailtime for something like this. Although it would be classified as petit larceny and carry a penalty that would include possible jailtime, the reality of it is that it will carry some sort of fine, probably around $250 or so and court costs if this is your first time with this type of offense.
.
It costs money to put someone in jail and with most state budgets in the red, they won't jail nonviolent offenders for things like this. They will hit you with a fine and that will be it..
.
There may also be a "civil demand" from the Rite Aid store for the cost of the merchandise and about $100 more. This is a penalty allowed by NY law for the store to recover for its costs in pursuing the case.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank u sooo much.......rite aid got the goods back.......they took them out of my purse, $19,total, hair dye, 10 dollars, a candle holder 1 dollar and a chap stick......total $19, if that.......I was in jail for a few hours and they let me go, with the appearance ticket........also I am banned from the store, which is fine with me......thank u again, I was losing sleep over this

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Other than some fines and court costs, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney