Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

South Carolina - I know it is very unethical bit is it illegal

South Carolina - I know it is very unethical bit is it illegal for a certified substance abuse counselor (not a licensed professional counselor) to have engaged in a sexual relationship with a terminated educational client that was enrolled at the agency in which the counselor worked
Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

You are correct. It is highly unethical. But it is only illegal if one of the parties is a minor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it grounds for a law suit if the client was a consenting not vulnerable adult

A lawsuit by whom?

The consenting adult could file - and the only way they could win would be to lie that it was not consenting or that the counselor promised to let them slide on something.

However, if it was consenting and the are not vulnerable then there is no basis

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lastly and thank you for your help based on this one thing is there anything that SCAADAC could try and do legally if the client does not file suit other than take license?

Correct. The only thing would be termination and possible ethics violation