bkb1956, Paralegal
Experience:  25+ years of paralegal experience, specifically in residential real estate and corporate matters

in the forms to renounce US citizenship, you are given the

in the forms to renounce US citizenship, you are given the choice of signing the statement either "Under oath" or "by affirmation". What is the difference and the implications of choosing one or the other?

thank you in advance

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

The difference basically has to do with what some perceive to be the religious implications of taking an oath (swearing before God).

An affirmation is a solemn declaration that has the same legal effect as an oath and is, therefore, legally binding but is not considered a religious oath.

Thank you.

Hi, Paul.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also always appreciated.

Thank you and best regards.