Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
10805288

Why did the police not allow my sister to identify our brother

Why did the police not allow my sister to identify our brother body? He was found in a hotel dead.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Can you give me details as to when, how, and where she requested to be allowed to identify the body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was not home when this happen. All she told me was that the police said no when she received the call that he was dead. She is not one for asking questions. The autospy came back unknow and the blood work came back the dosage was 43.5 times the regular dosage.

Thank you for your response. With regard to your post:

"Why did the police not allow my sister to identify our brother body? He was found in a hotel dead."

Generally, the authorities will not seek an in person identificiation of a body if there is no question as to who that body belongs to. Usually, in person identification of a body is needed if there is no identification matching the body or other strong evidence showing who the body belongs to. It sounds like he had photo id on him from his identifying license, and there was also a video showing him entering the hotel. The first would seem to be strongest, but the second piece of evidence certainly makes that even stronger. As such, the authorties came to the conclusion that there was no need for the added expense, time and delay of setting up an in person identification. There may even have been other proof they had that they didn't go into, such as an ID from someone else.

I am not suggesting that I agree with that policy, if it is one, that family ID is not always necessary. For identification reasons and for personal reasons, I think family identification can be helpful. I am only answering your question as to why they may not have had your sister ID the body - that they do make this judgment call at times, as well as in other investigatory calls in the name of balancing the need to determine the truth with not over-spending taxpayers money and the budget, so they do not always engage in every possible avenue of confirmation, but only that much that is needed for deciding they have the truth of who the person was.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.