Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I need a lawyers advice who knows about laws, customs, the

Customer Question

I need a lawyers advice who knows about laws, customs, the way of life in Ghana
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com.

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Ghana, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obligated to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If you want to find a lawyer in Ghana, the best referral would come from the US Embassy in Ghana. Embassies keep lists of reliable lawyers in case their countrymen get in trouble abroad and need one. For that matter, if you need to use a Ghanaian lawyer in the States, the Ghanaian Embassy over here may be willing to refer you to someone.

People who ask a question like this are usually wondering whether they are embroiled in an internet scam or whether they can trust the person from Ghana that they are dealing with online. If this is what led you to ask this question, use the reply tab below to let me know what's going on, and I'll be happy to try to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't need no advice as to whether I'm involved in a scam or not..it' all legal and true..I know this so keep your mouth shut in talking about anything else...Your talking about my near future wife here and anything said against her will offend me very strongly and I will not hesitate to tell you off...Get the picture?....Now what I need is some legal documents sent to me from Ghana to be verified here in America as being legal and true..These Americans don't know the difference about documents sent from another country, which is understood..So I don't need no-one from Ghana...We already have an attorney there...I need Ghananian documents verified from someone here in America....Thank you for all of your assistance..If you can really help me get these legally verified, that's wonderful..Otherwise, save your breath or refer me to someone else

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You need a lawyer here in the states who is Ghanaian. We have nobody on this site who would be able to tell you what legal Ghana documents look like because we don't practice Ghanaian law.

I am not looking to insult you, and if your girlfriend is real, so much the better, but we hear stories just like yours dozens of times every day, and I already know you have never met your future wife in person and that she's telling you that she has transfered gold into your name and you are paying a so-called lawyer in Ghana for the necessary certificates to clear the gold or whatever the inheritance consists of, so that she can come here and live with you and her fortune.

Now you did not tell me that, and I am not a mind-reader. So be very careful Take your documents to the Ghanaian Embassy here in the States and let a Ghanaian independently verify whether they are real documents.

Do a couple other things for yourself as well, because this has probably already cost you money and is going to cost you more.

First of all, look up the name of your Ghana lawyer on the Ghana Bar Association's list of licensed members in good standing. If your lawyer's name is XXXXX XXXXX then whoever he is he's not a lawyer. (See link) If it is there, verify independently that he's working on your future wife's case by calling the number that the Ghana bar gives you for him rather than the one you have. Make sure that way that the real lawyer really knows what you're talking about.

And then, take the pictures of your future wife and run them through Google's search by Image. If she's real the way you think she is, nothing will happen. If she's not real, you'll see the same photos being used all over the web but with different names and profiles. If you can't figure out how to use the Search by Image, let me know and I can do it for you.

Get mad at me all you like. I am not looking to win a popularity test. I'm just telling you to take a few perfectly reasonable precautions. If you're right, you have nothing to worry about by following through with the suggestions. If you're not, the sooner you know it the better.

Best of luck to you.