Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I am a 45 yearly women who reuns two major business, my brother

Customer Question

I am a 45 yearly women who reuns two major business, my brother in in a family custody battle with his wife, they have two children. (Two girls). Things are being said about me personally that does not allow me to supervise visitations with them and my brother. Can I sue his wide for deformation of character ??? If so, what type of lawyer do I get
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Is the wife making negative comments about you to third parties?
.
Are the comments untrue?
.
Are they affecting your reputation in the community?
.
Do you have any actual money damages due to her actions?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply...
Yes the wife is making false comments to Law Guardians, judges etc. Whatever these comments are they are ALL UNTRUE and tactics to keep my brother Nd his family away from the children. She has spoken negative things regarding my charater which in turn has denied me to supervising visitations with my brother and two small girls. The law guardian say that the accusations are not to be shared and are in the best interest of the children. No one has intervieme, nor have I had any contact with any lawyers. She is slandering my name, my reputation, my character and also degrading my character to the courts. I run to majior business and many employees, I am a workahic. I refuse to have her slander.my name, character. I would like to know whY my rights are, how do I defend myself legally and stop her from making falsafied statements....
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Based on your comments you would have an action against the person for slander and defamation. Slander is an act of communication that causes someone to be shamed, ridiculed, held in contempt, lowered in the estimation of the community, or to lose employment status or earnings or otherwise suffer a damaged reputation. Slander is a subcategory of defamation.

The basic elements of a claim of slander include;

1. a defamatory statement;

2. published to third parties; and

3. which the speaker or publisher knew or should have known was false

.

If you have been defamed, you may seek both actual damages to recover from the economic harm that you have suffered, and punitive damages to punish the person who made the remark and also to serve as an example to deter others.

.

A judge would also likely issue an injunction against the person making any further comments about you under threat of contempt of court and jailtime.

.

In order to pursue this, you would need to contact a local civil litigation or personal injury attorney to file suit against her and seek damages for her actions.

,.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you recommend any lawyers who are good in this grips located in Westchester? New York. Thank You
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, under my agreement with JA, I am not allowed to make specific referrals to customers. However, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

Thanks