Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Am I at fault in this circumstance? A member of my condominium

Am I at fault in this circumstance? A member of my condominium community posted remarks in a Facebook Group page about my intent to vote this way or that.... I was angry and called the person a "Crazy Old Coot" he then retaliated and sent me a privet message throught Facebook that read the following:

"What's the matter Fat Boy, your FB post can't stand the test of time, that you have to delete them. You are such a loser, no wonder you don't have any friends when I look at your anti-social FB page. Life must be miserable for you. Keep attacking me, I love it, FAT BOY. Your true conservative colors are showing through, self serving, lying, cheating, opaque. No wonder you are such a FAT BOY loser. Have a another big Mac Dude. And when I see you, call me those names again to my face, cause this old liberal Fart will teach you a lesson you will not want to learn, this I promise, Fat Boy. See you in the morning at your emergency meeting."

What I did was make a screen capture of this message that this person sent and posted that back on the the facebook group page. I also printed it out and posted this in the mail room of the community with an arrow pointing at the guys picture calling him a bully.

If he was the one that wrote the message and I was the one simply posting it in public can I get into any trouble?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Has this individual threatened any legal action against you?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No... Not yet... I have stopped communicating with him. Blocked him on Facebook and I have not threatened legal action against him.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Ryan.

Since you posted the sender's words to you verbatim and made no false statements about him, there would typically be no basis for him to take any legal action against you.

However, I would retain a copy of his post as it could be used against him in the future if you must seek a restraining order against him because of continued harassment or threats against you.

It certainly shows a level of malevolence that could support a restraining order if he follow-up with threats or harassment against you.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.