Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

please advise me, in 2007, after my second major brain surgery,

Customer Question

please advise me, in 2007, after my second major brain surgery, I had to file chapter 13.
I had sallie mae parent plus loan with a balance of $42,000. I ran out of payment coupons.
I called sallie mae to request more coupons. I had never been late, etc. they refused to send me more. I called several times later and received no payment coupons. After 6 months I checked my credit and saw that sallie mae had closed my account; my account was zero balance-apparently insurance had made payment. 6 yrs. later, recently, sallie mae sent me a letter letting me know that they were collecting my debt with $20,000 interest making my balance $62,000. I made a copy of my credit report still showing the balance of 0 and closed. Today, 7-1-2013, I received a letter from sallie mae that they had sold my loan to slm trusts and would be receiving a letter from them with payment arrangments. Can they do that to me when I was willing to continue my payments years ago and they wouldn't let me?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry to hear of your health situation and hope that you are doing better now

If the account was closed and showed a zero balance then that should be all the proof you need to show that the loan was repaid and there should not be any attempt to collect at this time

I suggest you will want to contact Sallie Mae and tell them they have made an error because the loan was paid and closed.