Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Im a CA broker dealer. We normally require letters test. to

I'm a CA broker dealer. We normally require letters test. to release funds to executor or spouse. We have an individ account with no beneficiary; account holder died and wife called saying CO doens't provide letters Test- assets automatically pass to spouse. is this correct?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. That is not correct. Under Colorado law, if the entire estate is small enough (under $63,000 in 2013), the full probate process can be avoided with the spouse providing a Small Estate Affidavit rather than Letters Testamentary. But, if the account is an individual account rather than a joint account and there is no beneficiary listed on the account, the decedent's interest in the account becomes an estate assets and the surviving spouse is going to need to provide either Letters Testamentary or a Small Estate Affidavit upon which you can rely to release the funds in the account.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: