Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

I do not want to purchase a firearm....which almost anyone

Customer Question

I do not want to purchase a firearm....which almost anyone can have in AZ...I am not about killing people....I have a question as to whether or no I can have brass knuckles....I am not the best fighter in the world....and I have to walk through a part of the homeless area after work at night...I almost got jumped 2 weeks ago, but was able to get away...I just want to arm myself enough to protect myself
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Brass knuckles are not specifically mentioned in the Arizona statutes pertaining to carrying weapons, which means that it would ultimately be up to a judge to make that determination if you were caught with the item and charged by prosecutors.

That being said, brass knuckles have no practical use beyond that of being a weapon, unlike a baseball bat, golf club, walking stick, etc. Those items have some other known and legally accepted use, whereas, brass knuckles have one use....exacerbating the damage caused by punches. Given that fact, it would be considered a weapon for the purposes of Arizona statutes and it would be illegal to carry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but it is ok to carry a firearm?

There is some confusion over this issue. Arizona still issues permits for carrying weapons concealed. However, they do so for purposes of reciprocity and for making sure that you are covered for carrying in all areas.

So, the statutes are still in existence that define deadly weapons and that allow for carrying when properly in possession of a permit, however, the law has also passed allowing one to carry without a permit.

They really should remove the other statutes from the books, but have chosen to leave them in place.

So, yes you can carry brass knuckles or a gun, though both are classified as deadly weapons in your state. To be the most protected, it would be wise to obtain a concealed carry permit, so that you can carry in all locations in your state.