Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is a motion to dismiss based on SOL appropriate before an answer?

Is a motion to dismiss based on SOL appropriate before an answer? ie, a motion to dismiss was filed by two of the defendants based on rule 12(b) AND SOL. My understanding is that a SOL claim must be an affirmative defense in an answer.
Thank you for your new question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you again.

Yes, the defendants may file a motion to dismiss on any ground under 12b as their first responsive pleading in the suit and this stops their time to answer the suit until the motion is decided.

12b can be raised as affirmative defenses in an answer or also as a separate motion to dismiss.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the SOL considered part of a 12(b) motion?

Yes, if the defendant wins on the SOL, there is no need for them to ever file an answer, since the SOL bars the case completely. It is failure to state a claim because there is no valid suit if the SOL is expired.