Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Good morning, I have a small business company with my husband

Good morning,

I have a small business company with my husband as LLC partnership. We don't have any contract in writing what are his responibilites and what is mine.

I would like to ask if my husband can hire or do anything in the company without consulting me.

Please let me know.

Best Regards,
Maggie
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If there is no written operating agreement, then both members of the LLC are presumed to have equal authority to hire, fire, conduct daily business of the LLC. Thus, the presumption is in your case, since you have no written operating agreement, that either you or your husband can hire or conduct daily affairs in the best interests of the LLC.

If you want more involvement, I am afraid (especially since this is your husband and not just another regular member) you will have to call a meeting of the LLC (sit down and talk to him) and you will either have to come to an agreement to work together which you will reduce to writing as a Membership Operating Agreement or because this is also a marriage I am afraid you would have to be more creative, since a normal LLC if the members cannot agree then one member can be bought out and walk away. In your LLC with your husband, you really cannot walk away and the LLC is marital property so there is really nothing much to be bought out.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.