Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I forgot. I only have ten days to notify them I want to fight

Customer Question

I forgot. I only have ten days to notify them I want to fight the licence revocation do I just notify my lawyer tomorrow?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Yes, that would be the best way. If you don't get to actually see the lawyer tomorrow then you probably want to go ahead and contest it in writing.

Customer :

Alright what does a hearing usually consist of? Just arranging another court date?

JD 1992 :

Yes, usually there is a judge, someone representing the state, and then you and your lawyer and the officer. It is usually in a different place than the DUI case.

Customer :

What is the average percentage of a 18 year old kid winning this

JD 1992 :

With a .15 it isn't a high percentage.

Customer :

Alright. Well so should I still plead not guilty?

JD 1992 :

Probably 10% or less. However, the lawyer will look for problems with the evidence and that can help a lot.

JD 1992 :

Yes, still plead not guilty.

JD 1992 :

And get your lawyer.

Customer :

Alright thank you. But one last question for the days in jail. Is it usually a one night and two day thing then your out the next day or two days and two nights then out bright and early on the third day

JD 1992 :

It's usually part of one day and part of another.

JD 1992 :

They don't usually keep you a full 48 hours.

Customer :

So say I go in at 5 p.m sleep there and leave the next day a little afternoon?

JD 1992 :

Yes, something like that.

Customer :

Alright thank you!

JD 1992 :

You're welcome!

Customer :

When am I most likely have to serve the two days? Weekend? Or tomorrow?

JD 1992 :

Not tomorrow since you are pleading not guilty and getting a lawyer. Usually the judge will let you serve it on a weekend.

Customer :

Alright thank you!

JD 1992 :

You're welcome.

Customer :

Also forgot to ask are the consequences the same if I lose the case or will they add more on?

JD 1992 :

If you end up going to trial you could get more but just because you plead not guilty now doesn't mean you are actually going to trial. By pleading not guilty you can get an attorney and have them review everything and then later you can change your plea to guilty. Likely you will get a better deal later than you would if you plead guilty now.

JD 1992 :

Please don't forget to issue your Positive Rating so I get credit for my work.

Customer :

So Iowa law is minimum two days in jail. But can you research on it and see IG they really keep you in for that long? Or just one day or so?

JD 1992 :

There is no way to research that online since that depends on the jail. Most jails give credit for the time and it results in less than two full days but some make you serve a full 48 hours.

Customer :

Is there anyway I can ask them?

JD 1992 :

You can ask your lawyer. He will know the rules for that particular jail.