Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Does a Guardianship cancel previous Powers of Attorney? Washington

Does a Guardianship cancel previous Powers of Attorney? Washington state

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

It overrides them but it doesn't cancel them.

JD 1992 :

Unless the court makes a specific order that they are cancelled.

I have a Health Care PoT for my husband. His son is heir to his estate. The son is asking for guardianship. Will that give him Health Care power?

JD 1992 :

The court can restrict the guardianship, award partial guardianship, or complete guardianship. Typically a full guardianship will give the power to make health care decisions as well as financial decisions and usually the court will void any prior POAs that are in place.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.