TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My wife took her cat to the vet. and he charged her about $350

My wife took her cat to the vet. and he charged her about $350 she didn't pay the bill. Now he is sueing me not her am I liable for this. I live in Tenn.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

Just so I'm clear, the cat was not your cat? Did your wife tell the vet that it was your cat?

VAMD, Esq. :

I'm wondering why he sued you and not your wife.

VAMD, Esq. :

I assume you didn't sign anything.

Customer:

She doesn't work. They know i do so they sued me. No I didn't sign anything. She didn't telltthem it was my cat.

VAMD, Esq. :

Well, the fact that your wife doesn't work is not a reason to sue you.

VAMD, Esq. :

The vet can only win a lawsuit against the person who agreed to pay for the services.

VAMD, Esq. :

It's a breach of contract case.

VAMD, Esq. :

You didn't sign anything, and you didn't take the cat there, so there is no implied contract to pay for services.

VAMD, Esq. :

You should be able to win the lawsuit easily enough.

VAMD, Esq. :

I assume it was filed in small claims court.

VAMD, Esq. :

If so, then you'll need to wait for trial to defend yourself.

VAMD, Esq. :

I would simply deny that you ever agreed to pay, deny that it's your cat, and that's about all you need to do.

VAMD, Esq. :

The vet would need to somehow prove that you agreed to pay .

VAMD, Esq. :

I don't see how he could do that.

VAMD, Esq. :

If the lawsuit is not in small claims, then you could file a motion to dismiss.

VAMD, Esq. :

But the amount owed is likely small enough that this is small claims.

VAMD, Esq. :

But let me ask you this: Why don't you pay for the services considering you know that your wife owes the money, and you presumably support your wife?

VAMD, Esq. :

Even if you win, the vet can sue your wife afterward.

VAMD, Esq. :

If the vet wins against her (which sounds likely), then he'd have a judgment against her and could go after her assets to pay the judgment.

VAMD, Esq. :

In my opinion, it may be worth avoiding the headache, and destroying your wife's credit, to just pay the vet.

VAMD, Esq. :

In any event, you should be able to win this particular lawsuit fairly easily based upon what you wrote.

VAMD, Esq. :

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.

Customer:

I didn't know that they were going to take me to court. I would have paid it .but now they want court cost and fees. When I found out about it it was to late to just pay the bill. She has no job.no assets.

VAMD, Esq. :

I see.

VAMD, Esq. :

Well, perhaps you can explain to them that they won't win the lawsuit, but that you are willing to settle on behalf of your wife for just the original amount owed.

VAMD, Esq. :

You can explain that you never promised to pay, and that if this case goes to trial, then they will lose.

VAMD, Esq. :

They may have a case against your wife, but if they don't settle now, then you will not pay them the possible future judgment against your wife.

VAMD, Esq. :

Maybe they'll come to their senses and just settle.

VAMD, Esq. :

In any event, I hope that helps.

VAMD, Esq. :

Good luck.

Customer:

You are very helpful .thank you

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome. Thank you for using our service!