Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I took my car to Best Buy last week to install a radio that

I took my car to Best Buy last week to install a radio that I had purchased. It took about 3 hours and I got my car back. When I got it back, I noticed that the SiriusXM seemed to crash and restart but after a while it started to work so I didnt think of anything about it. The next day, I went to drive my car and the SiriusXM wasnt working again but this time it wouldnt detect it. So, I thought the tuner may have went bad so I got a replacement with the warranty. I was going to take it down to them to see if they can replace it and I had ran my car on battery to make sure that it didnt work again.

When I was checking it, the car's computer system started dinging rapidly. When I looked at the screen, it said Check Brake System. Then it went on to Service AdvanceTrac which is the stability computer system. Then right after that, the entire car lost power.

I quickly turned it back off and called my local car dealership where I got the car. My car had to be towed to them so they can remove what they had put in and install the factory system and see what is wrong with my brake system and AdvanceTrac system. Why they messed with that, I dont know. I tried to start the battery again and everything powered up like before and then it ran through the same warnings and then it powered off once again.

I have a 2012 Ford Mustang with no other issues before. It just about 2 years old soon.

I believe I might have a case where I can file a lawsuit with Best Buy with this. Apparently, my safety was at risk with them messing with my Brake System and AdvanceTrac systems. I could have gotten into an accident with that if the brakes didnt work or would have spun out of control. So, my question is could this be a lawsuit that I can file?

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You can sue them for whatever damage was done to the car and the cost that it takes to fix it plus attorney's fees and costs of court.

JD 1992 :

However, you can't sue for what might have happened so there isn't a measure of damages available because you could have had an accident due to the brakes nto working.

Customer:

ok, so I can only sue for damages to my car and attorney fees and cost of court? but not for what could have happened.. right?

JD 1992 :

Correct.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help!

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

thats it for now I think..

JD 1992 :

Be sure and ask if this reduced the value of the car at all. If it did then you could sue for that as well.

JD 1992 :

I wouldn't think it did but it is a possibility.

Customer:

ok, i will ask about that

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this.

Customer:

thank you..

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.