John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

I went to a doctor and was asked to look at a video before

Customer Question

I went to a doctor and was asked to look at a video before seen. The video was about arbitration. It was saying that if something went wrong that I would not file a law suit but use arbitration. They would not see me if I did not sign the arbitration papers. Is this legal?
Expert:  John Legal replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

They can demand that you agree to arbitration before the doctor agrees to treat you. So long as you are consenting the agreement is valid. Courts do generally uphold these types of agreements. The piece that keeps this contract from being invalid is that you have signed based on your own free will. You could have chosen to refuse to sign the agreement and go see another doctor. This freedom of choice keeps the agreement from being coerced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did refuse to sign the arbitration. I had never had this happen and wanted to see if it is legal.

I have not heard of this before but not surprised. You exercised your right to refuse to contract with them based on the fact that you did not like the terms. There is nothing that would be illegal about the physician requiring such an arbitration clause.

Thank you for your question. I hope I fully answered your question. Please do not forget to rate me excellent. The site only pays me if you rate me excellent.