Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My supervisor lost a folder containing names and there ss#. They

Customer Question

My supervisor lost a folder containing names and there ss#.
They kept it quite until someone contacted someone in Washington D.C. And now we have letters sent out to all to employes telling us what a
Happened and to watch our credit.

The info own the letter is incorrect because they tried to cover it up for 2 weeks and then acted like it just happened.
The supervisor had nothing done to him and was told to b more careful with people's info.
The folder was put on a forklift seat And forgot about it while he himself was driving it.
I work for the us gov. And there were names and #s of at least 40 employes and some retired
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Good grief, I am very sorry to hear this. Ideally, what do you wish to accomplish? Did you suffer any identity theft related concerns, was your information used against your will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Identity problems yet or from anyone else that I've talk too but they are trying to act like no big deal and nothing has happening to the supervisor nor will it. Upper management is acting like no big deal.
Thank you for your follow-up.

That is good to hear, at least, pertaining to the fact you did not experience any direct identiy problems. So far that is not a major headache. What specifically is your question, however? How can I assist you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can charges b filed against the supervisor or employer for blowing this off like no big deal???

Thank you for your follow-up.

What you are describing is not a criminal offense. Consequently no criminal charges can be filed. This is ultimately a negligence issue that is up to the employer to investigate and then potentially discipline. You are not technically a victim yet as your information, while negligently misplaced, has not been given over to anyone else (that you know of) and you didn't suffer any losses or privacy concerns. If you did, then you would have a civil recourse and could sue for financial damages, but ti would still not be a criminal violation.

Good luck.