Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am permanently disabled and receive long term disability.

I am permanently disabled and receive long term disability. My claims examiner is compelling me to file my Tax Returns, and have now held back 4 months of benefits until I comply. My tax filings were delayed due to the IRS processing an '08 return as 2010 return. This process has taken 2 years to correct with the help of TAX Advocate. I am still preparing my 2010 ,2011 returns (refund due). They claim to be looking for any potential Offsets to reduce my benefits. I have no other retirement benefits, other than SS disability which has already been accounted for. Can they stop my monthly income and force me to send my TAX returns even though I am still meeting the filing requirements?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that if the long term disability company wants proof of your income via your income tax returns to show that all you are receiving is SSDI and no other income from work, then they have a right to proof. However, if you owe no taxes because of your disability income status, they cannot legally force you to file income taxes as long as you provide them all of the financial information they are seeking to verify your income and any offsets they may be due. If they refuse to accept alternative proof, then your recourse is that you have to file suit against them for breach of contract in bad faith.

You start by sending them a LETTER telling them you are willing to provide them with documentary proof of your income, but you are not compelled to file taxes when you owe no income taxes and if they are not willing to accept alternative proof then they are in bad faith in denying your benefits and you will pursue them for benefits, damages and attorney's fees for their bad faith refusal to accept alternative proof of income.

If they refuse, then you have to sue them in court. That is your legal option here.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law