TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

A neighbor physically attacked me. A few days later this person

Customer Question

A neighbor physically attacked me. A few days later this person had her friend confront me and asked me to show her what she had done to me as she was not there at the time of the incident. So as soon as i began to show her Her roommate called 911 and had me arrested for battery. They are both chek and just don't like me. It was a total set up and I don't know what to do at this point. When the person attacked me I did call the police. The local beat officer was dispatched to my house and he talked me out of pressing charges. I'm due in court in July 15th. I'm 44 and have no idea what to do. I don't have 2000 laying around to pay for a lawyer and do not know any.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm not sure that I'm following. Can you clarify the facts regarding this: "So as soon as i began to show her Her roommate called 911 and had me arrested for battery."

What confuses me is that a person can't have somebody arrested for battery whenever they'd like. There must be probable cause of a crime for a police officer to make an arrest. What happened when the police arrived? What were you accused of doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did open my hands and began to push her sad she asked me to show her how her roommate began to attack me. They are both illegal from cheek by thy way from what ll the neighbors tell me.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

I'm surprised that the police arrested you based on your description of what occurred. If I were you, I would ask the judge to appoint an attorney if you cannot afford one. Attorneys are appointed in cases where a defendant in a criminal case cannot afford a private attorney. I would plead not guilty, and then be prepared to explain to the judge at the trial what occurred. I can't believe that it's gone this far, to be honest. Even if you did push her, it doesn't sound like anything that caused injury. In any event, it seems doubtful that you will be convicted if you give convincing testimony.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did end up pushing her however Absolutely no injuries accord. It was a set up completely. The two Chec girls did this intentionally. They just don't like me I should have pressed charges initially when attacked me to begin wIth. Everyone is telling me that I need a lawyer to fight this but I don't have the money to afford one. So are you saying thais I will be able to explain the situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that I can fight this with a public defender? No injuries occurred non what's so ever

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

Yes, you will need to explain what occurred in court (if this actually goes to trial), and yes it is best to have an attorney, even if the attorney is the public defender. The public defender will take the case if you cannot afford a private attorney. Your defense, in this case, is consent. In other words, the "victim" specifically asked you to show her what happened, and consented to you pushing her.

Does that help? Please let me know if you need further clarification, as I am happy to continue assisting you. Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the public defender will be enough defense for the judge? People in my apartment complex are telling mr I need a lawyer. They are saying it will be disrespectful to the judge if I come without one I have called around and they all want a $500 retainerI which I do not have.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

Q: Will the public defender will be enough defense for the judge?
A: Public defenders are experts in criminal law. They're only problem is that they're busier than private attorneys because they handle more cases. A public defender is absolutely experienced and adequate to defend you.

Q: People in my apartment complex are telling mr I need a lawyer. They are saying it will be disrespectful to the judge if I come without one I have called around and they all want a $500 retainerI which I do not have.
A: Public defenders are lawyers. More importantly, you have been given misinformation. If you appear in court without a lawyer, the last thing the judge will think is that you are being disrespectful. He'll likely think that you cannot afford a lawyer and that you may need a public defender.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for that information. I feel much better at peace of what I need to do and what my options are.

Thank you for your time and knowledge

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome. Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My neighbors are telling me to call ins to report them as illegal. Should I do this and will I have to give my information?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

If they are truly illegal, then you have the option of turning them in. You will likely be asked for your information. If you're just guessing as to their status, then I wouldn't bother.