TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My son has been accused of sexually molesting a young girl.

My son has been accused of sexually molesting a young girl. Their is no ,evidence and through fear plead quilty and will be sentenced August 27th. 5-15 years. The young girl has considered me to be her Grandmother since she was 6 years old. Since Their is no longer a trial, would it be considered obstruction of justice if I were to pay her a visit and explain the situation to her and have her tell me the truth? If the results reveal my sons innocents offer those results to either the Judge or my sons Attorneys? Could we then possibly get his plea overturned? Thank you. L.A. Colorado Springs, Co
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. I'm so sorry to hear about this stressful situation with your son and the young girl.

Q: Since Their is no longer a trial, would it be considered obstruction of justice if I were to pay her a visit and explain the situation to her and have her tell me the truth?
A: That would be okay to contact the girl so long as the judge in the case did not order you not to contact the girl. If there is no such order, then you can contact her and speak to her (assuming she agrees to speak to you).

Q: If the results reveal my sons innocents offer those results to either the Judge or my sons Attorneys? Could we then possibly get his plea overturned?
A: Unfortunately, that is unlikely. By pleading guilty, your son admitted to the court that he was guilty. In order to overturn the guilty plea, he'd have to show that he didn't know what he was doing when he admitted to committing the crime. The other problem is that whatever the girl tells you would likely be considered hearsay, which means that it may not be admissible in court. However, if the girl admits that she lied, then you may wish to tell the prosecutor what happened and ask that he investigate further and drop the charges if necessary. While prosecutors want to win cases, they must also seek justice, and so they want to avoid convicting innocent people.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
VAMD, Esq.