Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

can a private investigator take photos through windows/glass

can a private investigator take photos through windows/glass from public places or go into buildings such as gyms, school classrooms, grocery stores?

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Customer:

Hello

Brandon M. :

Hi, Thanks for your question.

Customer:

you're welcome. Does it make sense? i know they can film/photo in public areas, but what about areas that are accessible to the public, but are NOT public spaces?

Brandon M. :

Generally speaking, it comes down to whether there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Did you have a specific scenario in mind, or are you just wondering generally what a PI's limits are?

Brandon M. :

So, for example, if you have the blinds open in the front of your home, and anyone walking by on the street can see inside, a PI would typically be at liberty to photo whatever is viewable inside the home from the street.

Brandon M. :

Even though, in that situation, you are inside your home, there isn't any privacy expectation because the blinds are open.

Customer:

mostly the gym. i have sever shoulder pain but i don't want to look like a defeated pathetic person in front of people. so i really want to try to fit in, and not "let go" and not work out and gain weight. it was due to an auto accident

Brandon M. :

Assuming it's not a private gym where you're exercising behind closed doors... where you're in a room with other people working out and all of you pay a membership... a PI would typically be at liberty to photograph someone in that sort of situation.

Customer:

it also is my go to for depression. i almost feel ill without the gym so i have to ask my doctor if i can go?

Customer:

Got it. yeah i am not claiming anything as if i can't lift. just pain. and i don't know what to do. i almost feel it HELPS to ease the pain.

Brandon M. :

Well, these cases can be complex. Anyone being investigated has to be mindful about how things appear. In court, it doesn't matter what actually "is" because the court has to decide things on what the evidence shows. The court can't get inside your body to feel if you have pain, so it has to consider things like photographs if you engaged in physical activity.

Customer:

Got it. makes sense. evidence. ugh. thank you.

Brandon M. :

So how to proceed is certainly up to you, but perhaps you can purchase the equipment to work out from home, or perhaps you can exercise some place out of public view. But yes. It's all about evidence.

Customer:

makes sense. yeah. something out of the public view. i can't afford a treadmill. but i'll figure it out...i am hoping as long as i clear it with my doctor its ok?

Customer:

physical therapy encourages me to work out. makes no sense.

Customer:

Thank you