TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Can a Notary Public in the state of Texas administer an Oath

Can a Notary Public in the state of Texas administer an Oath to compel the truth without a document to be notarized and no signature verification and record it in the notarial record as being administered by the oath takers?
Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.
Q: Can a Notary Public in the state of Texas administer an Oath to compel the truth without a document to be notarized and no signature verification and record it in the notarial record as being administered by the oath takers?
A: A notary can administer an oath to tell the truth. There does not need to be a document to sign or signature verification (what would there be to verify if there is no document?). For example, in a hearing or deposition, a notary could theoretically administer an oath to tell the truth.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!
If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This question refers to the question about Internet Wedding ceremonies. I am a Notary Public, Signing Agent, Judicial Process Server, and a Marriage Officiant in Carrollton Texas. I am seeking to conduct the internet wedding, however my conscience..LOL..compels me to at least administer the oath under penalties of perjury so that at least I know they are on Texas soil. A county clerk is not one to have mad at you nowadays!
Hi again. I understand. Did I answer your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I have the ability to administer and Oath over the internet then yes. I recall a federal judge from Hawaii convened her court here in Texas in family court and had me place parents under oath for an adoption, but a notary public is far far removed from what a federal judge can do...so wanted to make sure there was no law stating a Notary could not place people under oath over media devices.
Hi again.
No, I do not believe that you can administer an oath over media such as telephone or video. A notary must be in the presence of the person to whom he is giving the oath. I wish that I had better news.