Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

What is the statue of limitations on check forgery. About 5

What is the statue of limitations on check forgery. About 5 1/2 years ago I forged my live in boyfriends name on checks for groceries and electricity. He is now threatening to take my child away and send me to jail because she doesn't want to go with him for the summer.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

The South Dakota laws concerning the statute of limitations are not so specific as to set one for each crime.

Instead, it sets two. 7 years is the general statute of limitations except for crimes that have no statute of limitations at all, like murder.

So, the statute of limitations in this instance would be 7 years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you for your help.

I would just point out to you that threatening to send you to jail if you won't do what he wants you to do is also a crime called extortion.

If he wants to turn you in, he just has to turn you in. He can't use that fact against you, because that is actually illegal on it's own.

You might consider explaining that fact to him so that he understands that if he turns you in, you'll have the ability to turn him in as well.