TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

My friend lost his ss card and it had his ss number on it .

My friend lost his ss card and it had his ss number on it . How can he stop anyone from stealing his idenity?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You friend can contact each of the 3 credit bureaus and put a freeze on his account. That means that nobody would be able to obtain any credit in his name (including himself) for a few months. After a few months he'll want to lift the freeze but continue to monitor his credit report for any unusual activity, and file a dispute if there is any activity that is not his own. He would only be allowed to get a new SSN if his current SSN was actually used by an identity thief, and he was unable, as a good faith effort, to get his credit report cleaned up. So, it is too early at this point to try for a new SSN.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what 3 credit bureaus do we notify?

Hi again.

The 3 credit bureaus are Experian, TransUnion and Equifax.

P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374

P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

P.O. Box 9701
Allen, TX 75013