How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

I received a “JUDGMENT AND MINUTE ORDER ON SMALL CLAIMS APPEAL”, which states the following:
‘The parties reached a stipulation, which becomes the court’s ruling as follows: Deft/Appellant will deposit in a bank account for the minor, Sydney Carlson, $500.00 in 2001, and $500.00 in 2002. Parties will mutually agree on a bank for said account and will both be trustees of said account. “
The defendent set up the bank account as ordered and the after a couple of years closed the bank account. do I have any legal right to sue him in small claims court in California
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Upon closing account did the money go to Sydney?

Give me a little background on the purpose of this account and if Sydney is now over 18?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was suing the defendent in small claims which he did not want to pay. We agreed that I would settle for him putting money into an account for Sydney. the judgment came from the court in the verbage i stated. When he opened the account it included my name and him. I dismissed the original judgment as he had set up the account and he was trying to purchase a home. After a couple of years I went into the credit union to check on the account and discovered he had closed the account. he states he has set up another account for Sydney but ti did not include my name. Sydney is 14 years old

You can demand that he put you back on the account as trustee. If he refuses then you do not have to file a new suit. It is much easier than that.

You can go back to the original court and file a motion for him to "show cause" why he should not be held in contempt of court for failure to abide by the court order. The court has one of several options in a contempt hearing. The court can order him to put your name on the account or can actually incarcerate him for failure to follow the order. Generally courts use incarceration until the order is complied with.

I cannot find the small claims form but you can get help by telling the small claims court clerk that you need to file a motion and affidavit for contempt.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry. Can I file an 'Order to show cause" in San Joaquin County, California, or do I have to hire an attorney? Thank you

Here is a Family Law form for show cause in California.

There is not a small claims form online. I would suggest that you can try and file the family law form or go to the clerk's office in your county and they may have a form that is not online.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the fact that I released the original judgment after he placed the money in the account make the whole judgment void? How will that figure in to the order to show cause?

No. The judgment is still a valid court order that he must follow. I am not sure what you mean by "released the original judgment." A judgment gets entered by the court and remains enforceable until FULLY complied with. This would not be until Sydney receives the funds.

I appreciate your business and our conversation.

Please do rate me excellent because I do not get paid by the site unless you rate me excellent.

You can always get me in the future just by starting your question with "Dear XXXXX."

John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.
John Legal and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.