Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I had a writ of execution files against me for a credit card

Customer Question

I had a writ of execution files against me for a credit card bill. Was paying $565 a month but was not able to pay it every month. What can I do now so I can make sure that no one shows up at my house to take certain items. Is it worth to contact an attorney or just attempt to come to an agreement with the attorney of the credit card company? Any advise? I live in Pennsylvania .
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Has the creditor taken any actions to seize and sell any of your assets yet?
.
Do you have any large assets with equity? (cars, boats, motorcycles, jewelry, guns, etc.)
.
Any non-retirement bank accounts with money in them?
.
Are you employed?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tho was filed 2 weeks ago- I just found out about it- we have a house on my name and wife's name. The credit card is only mine. They did not try to collect yet. I do not have any valuables- older cars - that's all-
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if you don't have any big ticket items with equity in them that the sheriff could seize and sell, then usually if the creditor moves for a seizure, the sheriff will just show up and ask you if you have any non-exempt property. If you say no, then they will typically just mark the writ as unable to be executed on and go away. They aren't going to show up at your house with an appraiser to see if you have property that is worth seizing. As for the house, if you have less than $43,250 in equity in it, it is protected under law from being levied on and sold.
.
.
Thanks