TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Out of pure curiostiy. What is the law pertaining to Bootleg

Out of pure curiostiy. What is the law pertaining to Bootleg DVDs? Is it illegal to purchase them? If so, is there any jail time associated with purchasing bootleg dvds, I have literalyl never heard of someone going to jail for buying a bootleg. Also, is it illegal if the DVD is no longer in circulation or distributed (i.e. the company quit making copies of it). The company wouldnt be making any profit off it anymore, as its no longer a distributed item. Thanks
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You're correct that jail is not likely for purchasing bootleg DVDs. However, large fines are quite possible. It is still illegal even if the DVDs are no longer in circulation or distributed. The copyright owner is still cheated out of the money that you would have paid for the DVD if you had purchased it.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what about tv shows that aired on regular television and are recorded by someone, then sold years later because they are no longer shown or for sale?

Hi again.

Recording and selling TV shows would be illegal unless the copyright had expired or was not renewed. That may be the case if the shows are no longer available. But you'd need to check for the copyright and see if it had expired.