Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

my wife and i are being sued my her former morgage copany.her

my wife and i are being sued my her former morgage copany.her husband got the house and was to file quick clame but did not. he just walked out ,no payments and the house is in forclosure,as no pay for 6 years .can they sue me,and what about my wife

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.My sympathy here for your dilemma and situation.

RayAnswers :

If you wife here was on the title they can sue both her and her ex husband.In Florida all foreclosures are judicial ones where they file a civil suit.There would likely be a deficiency judgment against of of them.

RayAnswers :

Any judgment would lien any property in her name and any assets such as bank accounts in her name are vulnerable.But you should not be directly sued here if you were not on the loan.

RayAnswers :

You may want to take her name off of any real property and bank accounts.Even joint ones here would be vulnerable.And she may want to talk to a local lawyer about a separate bankruptcy filing for herself.

Customer:

they took her off title

RayAnswers :

Here is information about her exemptions from creditors.

RayAnswers :

She can be off of title but if she is still on the note here I am afraid they can come after her and seek deficiency.

Customer:

thank you

RayAnswers :

You are welcome.I wish you both the best.

RayAnswers :

Here is lawyer referral in case she files bankruptcy.

RayAnswers :

If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated.Thanks again for letting me chat with you.