socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My wife and I live in The Westchester atXXXXX,

My wife and I live in The Westchester atXXXXX, NW in Washington, DC. This complex of buildings was built in 1929 and is now (since 1982) a cooperative. I am disabled (myositis) and unable to access the Lobby and The Dining Room, open to the public. The Board refuses to take the necessary action to make these spaces accessible to me. What are my rights?
[email protected]

The ADA requires that areas of public accommodation must provide disabled access. There is, however, an exception where there has been no alteration of the area involved and the cost of retrofitting is unreasonable. This is undoubtedly what the Board will argue in court. It will also likely argue that the building has historical significance, so any alteration will destroy the history preserved by maintaining the original building condition.

You can complain to the U.S. Department of Justice. I would definitely do this, before investing any money in a civil rights attorney, because if the DOJ thinks that the case can't be prosecuted, then I doubt that any private lawyer will take the case.

Click here to file a complaint.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I complain to the U.S. Department of Justice?