TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

How are unused fundraising funds for a youth sports team to

How are unused fundraising funds for a youth sports team to be disbursed once the team dissolves?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Is the team part of an incorporated league, or is it incorporated itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.

The law does prescribe how the funds should be distributed, then. The funds were a gift to the team, so it only makes sense to use the funds for the team, such as for a party, or trophies, or to pay for uniforms, etc. If the team were an incorporated non-profit, then the funds can be held by the corp. until needed the following year, so you could do that as well if the team intends to continue into the following year.

I wish that I could give you a clear cut answer that "the law says that you must give the money to X,Y, and Z. But it just doesn't legislate those matters.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This will be the last year for this team to be together and the amount is substantially more than would/could be used for a party or trophies. Question - could the unused funds be disbursed back in equal shares to each team member's family?

Hi again.

Yes, the unused funds could lawfully be distributed back to the team member's family. Since the money was a gift to begin with, it can be used in almost any way the team leaders decide, so giving it back to the families is certainly a possibility. I suspect that many of the families spent a lot of money on the team, so that would be a nice gesture as well.