John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can a person be taken to c parouyyrt over a verbal agreement

Customer Question

Can a person be taken to c parouyyrt over a verbal agreement with no signatures on any documents when both parties did what they said they were gonna do. Both shook hands on verbal deal. Afterwards hes saying I owe him mo.ney. He painted a little on house and.i took care of the inside of his truck.what do I do? He made deal with me. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Legally, verbal agreements are just as enforceable in court as written contracts. There are some types of contracts (such as for sale of property) that must be in writing to be enforceable. But the deal you are talking about would not require a written agreement.

The issue in particular you are having is that he now states a different term than what you believe the deal is/was. Unfortunately he can sue you, and you will have to defend the matter. He would have the burden of proof to prove that you promised him money for the work. Perhaps you have other evidence that can show that was not the deal and rather it would be a barter of services; this would be your best defense (for example if you have witness who heard you make the deal). Otherwise, it is left up to the judge to decide which one of you is more credible in his testimony.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, and I wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has sent me a bill now for $2025. Estimate was $1805. Because I told him I would paint the back porch and eve of porch myself to save money .he stated in estimate deduct $225 if customer dos. I agreed with that. Remember just an estimate because I wasnt wanting to do it now because im leaving in month for california for week. Before we could talk about a time to do job we ended up talking about what I did for a living and he said come here and look at this. Lked at his 05 work truck with 153k miles on it. Real dirty,torn,spilled crud on carpet was his concer. He said ill tell you what. How about I paint your whole house if you take care of my truck. He said does that sound fair. I shook his hand and said thats a deal. No money talked about and thats how he ended up painting whole thing and now im stuck with a job I didnt want to do in first place. Hes got money trying to swindle people like me. He should of kept it business but he mest up and making me pay for it I think.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Then he threatens me saying hes going to make me his hobby. He said I could tell by looking at you you were going to do this. Well he is totally wrong about the whole thing!!!
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I see. What you ought to do is write him a letter or email; something you can present to the court if it is necessary. And state in the letter that it was your understanding of the discussion that you would fix up his work truck in exchange for the painting. Otherwise, you would not have had him do the work. Thus, you believe you have satisfied the parties' agreement. Also, you should state that if he persists in pursuing this you'll be forced to demand payment for your services.

Then if it ever come to him filing a lawsuit you can use this letter in court evidence of your understanding of the matter. Your story is very credible, thus I'm doubtful that his claim would be successful.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.