Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I have a revocable family trust naming my son as successor

I have a revocable family trust naming my son as successor trustee and my nephew as secondary successor trustee. My grandson who was twelve years old when this trust was created is new thirty five years old, and I would like to make him the secondary trustee to succeed my son. Also, my wife died fourteen years ago and my daughter four years ago. Can I type an addendum to the trust, sign it, have it certified as my signature and attach it to the original?

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

RayAnswers :

It is possible to do an amendment here of a revocable trust and you can modify the trust with a new secondary trustee.

RayAnswers :

California's trust amendment laws are found in Sections 15400-15414 of the probate code.

RayAnswers :

You may want to use a local lawyer here or an online service.Here is an example of such a service with forms.

RayAnswers :

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

Another trust amendment form.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for letting me help you today.

RayAnswers :

In case you decide to make use of a trust lawyer which may be a good idea here since the trust is more than a few years old you can locate one here to review it and prepare the amendment.

RayAnswers :

Thanks again.

I switched this for you from chat. Please let me know if you have more follow up,thanks.