ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

HI,HOW MAY I FIND OUT IF A LAWERS GROUP HAS ANY COMPLAINTS

Customer Question

HI,HOW MAY I FIND OUT IF A LAWERS GROUP HAS ANY COMPLAINTS AGAINST THEM?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Just to be clear, "Terpstra" is the correct spelling of this lawyer's name?

ScottyMacEsq :

Or is that your name?

ScottyMacEsq :

And what other information (i.e. Address, number, etc...) do you have relating to this lawyer's group?

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. Once you respond to my follow up question, I will respond as soon as I can. Please note that I may be assisting other customers or otherwise out of the office (depending when you respond). Thank you.

Customer:

scotty,all i want to know know is how may find out a rating for ococella

ScottyMacEsq :

Is that the name of the law group that you're interested in?

ScottyMacEsq :

Spelled Ococella?

ScottyMacEsq :

(I have found one called "Acocella", spelled with an "A" in Syosset... Is that the one that you're referring to?)

Customer:

scotty, all i need to know a rating for acocella law firm, located in syosset n.y. i can check this out if you tell me how. i want to protect my money! i am at the computer, do you have more questions?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I wanted to know about. You did not mention the law group in your initial question (so I didn't know what to look up) and I wanted to know the correct spelling. Please give me a few minutes....

ScottyMacEsq :

*mention the name of the group in your initial question, that is...

ScottyMacEsq :

One moment please...

ScottyMacEsq :

Michigan requires that anyone negotiating a loan modification be licensed with the Michigan Consumer Finance License Division, and there's no business with "Acocella" in the name. You can do a search here: http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/fis/ind_srch/ConsumerFinance/Search.asp

ScottyMacEsq :

You need to get a consultation from a MI licensed property attorney skilled in loan modification and you might also consider just getting a bankruptcy consultation (for planning purposes).

ScottyMacEsq :

Now I notice that their website say that they have a nationwide "network"...

ScottyMacEsq :

In short, that means that they take your money and push the work off on a Michigan lawyer or law firm that would do this.

ScottyMacEsq :

(since they can't do it on their own, pursuant to that law that says they have to be licensed)

ScottyMacEsq :

While this firm has okay ratings with AVVO (a rating website for attorneys), I would be hesitant hiring an attorney from out of state to handle something that is very much particular to state laws on the matter.

Customer:

does this mean that i am safe with this firm?

ScottyMacEsq :

If I were you, I would use the BBB website for searching for a reputable loan modification company in your area: http://www.bbb.org/detroit/accredited-business-directory/loan-modification/

ScottyMacEsq :

It's likely not a scam, so in that sense you'd be "safe".

ScottyMacEsq :

But like I said before, the Acocella Law Group is not going to be the ones actually doing the negotiations, etc...

ScottyMacEsq :

(although they'll bill you and pay the subcontracted workers)

ScottyMacEsq :

It might be cheaper to cut out the middleman (Acocella being the middleman)

Customer:

as you reviewed the web site it appears that they do business all over

ScottyMacEsq :

They mention a "network". A network indicates that they have "affiliated" attorneys and companies.

ScottyMacEsq :

That is, that they will "farm out" that work to another firm.

ScottyMacEsq :

They cannot legally do this work in Michigan without a license to do so.

ScottyMacEsq :

So that's why they farm it out.

ScottyMacEsq :

Here's a quote from their website: "We have assembled a nationwide network of attorneys to assist our clients through the litigation and mitigation process. Every client has contact with an attorney in their state who has oversight over their file and can provide them with the specific legal assistance that they have come to expect with Acocella Law Group, P.C."

ScottyMacEsq :

That does not mean that the attorney in your state is employed by Acocella Law Group.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm not saying it's a bad company , and they might only select the best lawyers to work with. But they are still a "middleman" in that transaction. So I'm saying that talk with a couple other firms in your state that handle this, and see if you can get a better deal than this one.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

i have been working for four months with the lender[citimorgage ]and they just keep asking for more information some thimes the same papers also with the modification with citimorgage only extenes the loan and does not do anything with the interest.

ScottyMacEsq :

I understand. Like I said before, Acocella seems to be legitimate, and has decent ratings on Avvo, but they also seem to be a middleman and I think that it would be worth your time to talk with at least a couple of firms in your state (since the law is state specific).

ScottyMacEsq :

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

Customer:

i guess i still do not feel i have the real answer i need and i aslo believe i have made my questions unclear. sorry. ijust wish to know if the law firm in question is a trust worthy ,legal and if the bar assoc. have anything against them.

ScottyMacEsq :

Yes, it's trustworthy, no actions against the firm or attorneys in the firm, but they don't disclose the "network" attorneys.

ScottyMacEsq :

It has a good reputation, to specifically answer your question.

ScottyMacEsq :

BUT in the interest of providing you a better service than what you were asking for, specifically, I suggested that you contact state specific law firms in Michigan, since Acocella would not be doing the actual negotiation.

ScottyMacEsq :

(and since I can't check out the "network" attorneys I can't say for certain if they have any complaints)

ScottyMacEsq :

Here's Frank Acocella's profile on Avvo: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/11791-ny-frank-acocella-976567.html

Customer:

scotty thank you very much I will ask them the questions and concerns you gave me.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney