ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have a business and I am always in a good standing. We pay

I have a business and I am always in a good standing. We pay tax. I heard from my friend that FBI was interviewed with her about me and where my money come from. So I would like to know what I need to do right now in order to protect my business. I do not think I do anything wrong. We have registered our company and every transaction is through the bank.

Thanks. James

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Is your business a sole proprietorship or a corporation / LLC / etc...? Do you handle international business transactions / import / export / etc...?

ScottyMacEsq :

And do you handle a large portion of cash transactions?

Customer:

My company is a corporation and yes we handle international business for training for UC berkeley, other business such as consulting for water business and environmental business.

Customer:

No we do not handle a large portion of cash

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you. Assuming that this really is the FBI (note that it could be a scammer trying to get information about you, etc..) they could be investigating on a number of issues. One could be that there's some sort of "side business" that you're laundering illegal money. But if you don't handle cash transactions, or transactions from less than reputable customers, that would be difficult to establish.

ScottyMacEsq :

It could also be that they are investigating allegations of embezzlement, etc...

ScottyMacEsq :

While you have a company and are entitled to profits, etc... unless it's completely owned by you in a sole proprietorship, you could not take money from that. So it's entirely possible that someone (rightly or wrongly) reported your actions to the FBI, etc...

ScottyMacEsq :

The FBI would not investigate if your salary was reasonable, or tax evasion issues (that would be the IRS).

ScottyMacEsq :

But if you don't have anything to hide, you're not engaged in some criminal activity, etc... and you have the books to prove cash flow, then I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

ScottyMacEsq :

It might even be something completely unrelated to your business, but this really is all speculation.

ScottyMacEsq :

Now if they do contact you and ask questions, I certainly would not answer anything without first verifying that they're really FBI, and getting a lawyer. If they're trying to build a case against you, there's zero benefit in answering them without a lawyer present.

Customer:

I do travel to China very often sometime once a month. I have the book to prove cash flow and contract to pay and receive the money. My friend is scaring FBI. I cannot stop FBI to investigate my friend. But my friend is scaring and has made me uncomfortable. But nothing I can do.

ScottyMacEsq :

I guess it's entirely possible that they could be investigating espionage (spying), but again, if you can establish that all your money came from legitimate sources, then that should not be an issue at all.

Customer:

You think I should retain a lawyer to protect my company and I. I have done everything possible legally. But today's national policy has made me uncomfortable.

ScottyMacEsq :

I understand. Again, I don't think that an attorney is necessary unless you're contacted by the FBI or are personally being asked questions. That is, an attorney probably couldn't do anything if there was a "secret" investigation going on, as it would even be exempt from disclosure to your attorney.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

Customer:

thank you.