LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

9 years ago, my mom and her boyfriend sent me money to help

9 years ago, my mom and her boyfriend sent me money to help me pay my car payments while I was in nursing school because my car was about to be taken by the finance company, there was never a signed agreement of repayment or even a serious verbal agreement of repayment, no handshake or anything, at the time he was saying family needs to help family out in times of need. Now 9 years later he is threatening to sue me for the money he sent me because he is mad at me, can he win a civil suit against me if he did file it without a repayment agreement never being made or signed, he claims to have the western union receipts for what he sent me but I don't think he really does because I've never seen them, neither has my mother. Just wondering if he could really win a case against me with no repayment agreement?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand. Would you mind sharing with me the State you are in, as I want to check the statute of limitations as well. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. In order for him to to sue and prevail, he is going to have to show that there was an agreement to repay him the money allegedly "lent". This is going to be hard to do when there is nothing in writing and it is going to be his word against you. He is going to have to prove the terms and conditions of the agreement and would need to show when the money was supposed to be repaid. Even if he did this, there is a 4 year statute of limitations on his right to sue on an oral contract, so he could be well outside the time frame and you always could assert the statute of limitations as a defense against him. Even if he has receipts from Western Union, it does not show that there was any agreement to repay him and this was anything more then a gift. You are not disputing that the money was given to you and that is the only thing that the receipts would show. The dispute is about repayment and absent some proof, the Judge would likely see this as a gift.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that was the case, just wanted to be sure, I want to make sure that this is a one time payment of 36$ and not going to be a recurring monthly payment, before I say that im satisfied with your answer, is there anyway this conversation can be emailed to me, so I have it, in print. Because Im on my cell and can't print from this.
You are welcome. The only way you would be charged again after rating me, is if you signed up for a monthly plan. You can always contact customer service to confirm this is not the case. The conversation does not get mailed but you can always sign back in and return to the question, once you are in front of the computer. You can then copy and paste it into a word document. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I am here to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, just want to print it, don't know how I would log back into this conversation, don't remember putting in a password XXXXX anything. So u know how and if I can log back in
You can go to the website and their should be a link to click to log in and retrieve your information. In addition, customer service can walk you through the steps.