Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I hired an attorney 7 years ago to deal with a small matter

I hired an attorney 7 years ago to deal with a small matter with the IRS. This was in 2006. The matter was successfully concluded in 2008 and the matter was closed. I did not receive any further bills from the lawyer at that time and everything was current and paid. I have received no further contact or an email whatsoever from the attorney. I have now suddenly received a bill almost 6 years later for one and a half hours that was not previously billed. This seems like an unreasonable time lag. My question is: Is a lawyer allowed to bill this far out from when services were rendered or are they subject to universal commercial codes and contract law? In other words there was only a verbal contract and no written contract and my understanding is the maximum amount of time to bill for that service would be four years for a verbal contract and five years for a written contract? Thank you very much
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

It would be highly unprofessional and unethical to bill a client several years after the legal services were performed by the lawyer and it would be within your rights to dispute this bill based on the fact that this attorney failed to bill you within reasonable timeframe and if this attorney refuse to waive this bill, then you could file a formal complaint against this attorney with Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility at the link below:

http://www.tbpr.org/consumers/filingacomplaint.aspx

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

more specifically is there a set time limit to render a bill for legalservices? Does it fall under contract lawl or universal commercial

Dear Ysela,

Thank you for your follow up.

Your agreement with the attorney would be governed by the contract law.

A lawyer generally is expected to bill client within reasonable time, which is generally 6 months or less from the time the legal service was rendered.

I wish you the best of luck!