Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

how long does an non contested divorce take in washington dc

how long does an non contested divorce take in washington dc and what is the cheapest cost ? thank you

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Can both parties be found?

TexLawyer :

Also, are there assets to be divided up? Are there minor children involved?

Hi. It is my understanding that you were having difficulties viewing the chat. I've switched to a Q&A format, which usually clears up any issues.

Can both parties be found? Are there any children? Are there any assets or debts to be divided up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Assuming you and your husband can agree on who gets the car, the divorce process should be relatively simple. In terms of how long it will take, that can depend on several things, including how busy the judge you draw is and how quickly the attorney starts on it. That said, I would expect it to take between 3-6 months, based on my experience. Regarding price, there is a very wide range. I think you should expect to pay $500 on the very lowest end. Since this is an uncontested divorce with no real issues, you should shop it around to as many lawyers as you can and go with the cheapest one. This is just a matter of filing paperwork on certain deadlines, so it doesn't require any degree of skill. Also, if you really want to save money, there are forms and instructions available to help someone do it themselves. For example, see:

All-in-all, the process should be relatively fast, given your situation. My recommendation would be to hire the cheapest lawyer you can. It will save you a great deal of headache and worry over doing it yourself. But, that's your call.

I just saw your other post. If one party cannot be found, that will make things more expensive and take considerably longer. You should expect to spend at least $1000 and it will take a few months longer. If your spouse can't be located, the attorney will have to serve him by publication, which costs money and takes longer. Plus, you have to have permission from the judge to proceed on a divorce where one spouse can't be located. It is still not terribly complicated for an attorney, but it just adds several extra steps, which, of course, cost you more money and strings things out a bit longer.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer.