Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I am a real estate agent in West Virginia. For the last year

I am a real estate agent in West Virginia. For the last year I have sold life and health insurance, and I am currently working on my property and causality license! My question is would it be illegal to give homebuyers a quote on homeowners insurance? To my knowledge, the only requirement is that I let them know up front that there are other options and that they are not obligated to purchase homeowners through my business. Is this true?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

This is a good question. It is technically not illegal provided that the homeowners request a quote directly. In other words, you cannot simply bundle this service with your other real estate, and you cannot solicit or provide such quotes without the individual requesting or consenting to such a service from you. Anything else would violate rules since either service should not be able to be legitimately combined out of industry. But otherwise there is no violation.

Good luck.