Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

we signed a two year contract with Directv and are having trouble

we signed a two year contract with Directv and are having trouble with them from day one.
We have had almost daily phone conversations with them to correct problems that are only tempory fixes. We have a service contract with them but they refuse to send someone out
to investigate what is wrong. Our screen goes blank, other times the sound goes out, sometimes we get NO Signal. He claims they have to have error code that shows up on screen in order to send someone out. We don't get an error code, we get no signal. I called to see how much time we had to back out of our contract and was told 15 days, and she transfered me to another department to cancel. This person tells me we had 24 hours to cancel and that the 15 days was to resolve the problems. If unsolved it would be solved by arbitration. Is there anything we can do to cancel without paying penalities?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Unfortunately there is no way to resolve it short of arbitration or a lawsuit.

JD 1992 :

You would have to look at the contract to see if it calls for mandatory arbitration and the provisions of it.

JD 1992 :

However, I think there is a very, very good chance that you will prevail in this situation.

JD 1992 :

An integral part of having DirecTV service is that it works.

How can a company have you sign a contract and only give you 24 hours to backout ? This was not stated in any written form nor verbally nor was there any mention of 15 days. All this is a surprise when having problems for 12 days and trying different things that were recommended by Directv people responding to my calls. I finally decided I was frustrated with them and the service that We wanted to cancel and find that we should have canceled within 24 hours.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.