Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Hi Lucy. I have another question. I was married to him for

Hi Lucy. I have another question. I was married to him for 32 years, three children. He was gone as a pilot much of the time and I cared for the children and supported his further education. He makes a minimum of $220,000.00 per year and I ended up with $3200 per month in alimony. This was based on supposed expenses due to a house we owned which is now sold. I am 54 and have been trying to find work but no luck so far. I have been forced to move in with my boyfriend and pay him lowered rent. I am documenting that I pay him fair rent. 1. Does this endanger my alimony? And since I have no money to hire an attorney, is there any recourse for me to appeal to the courts for increased alimony?
Hello again,

Cohabitation with a partner is a basis for terminating or reducing alimony. Cal. Fam. Code, Section 4323. Alimony that is agreed to cannot be appealed. A spouse can apply to modify alimony if there is a material change in circumstances, such as an unanticipated increase in expenses. Unfortunately, if you do that, your ex-husband will likely file a counter-petition to terminate alimony based on your cohabitation, so that likely would not benefit you. The only exception is if you have a written agreement that says your support will not be affected by cohabitation.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.