Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was served an order for supplemental proceedings for a debt

I was served an order for supplemental proceedings for a debt I owe. I am planning on doing a chapter 7 bankruptcy, however, for the supplemental proceedings, they want to see my bank accounts. My bank account is a business bank account, and the deposits are to cover payroll, so I don't want to show them the business bank account because it would be misleading to how much money I make. Can I go to the supplemental hearing without my bank records?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Can I go to the supplemental hearing without my bank records?
.
You can, but you risk being found in contempt of court by the judge. This can result in the judge imposing penalties from a good chewing out up to fines and jailtime. If this is a business that you own, and it is incorporated, then you wouldn't have to provide those records if you were sued personally. But if the business is not incorporated or an LLC, and you own it personally, then you would have to provide them.
.
But realistically, the judge will likely just yell at you and reschedule the hearing with you under order to either bring the records to court or to deliver them to the creditor before the hearing under contempt of court threats and jailtime.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful, my business is incorporated, that's what I will tell the judge. Should I mention the bankruptcy, or does that have any relevance?

You are very welcome. If you were sued personally, then you wouldn't have to provide corporate bank records.
.
At this point, I would probably not mention the bankruptcy as it isn't relevant until you actually file it...
.
.
Thanks

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.