John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

I have recently withdrawn from a Grad school , 1 day after

I have recently withdrawn from a Grad school , 1 day after the drop deadline. Can i be sued for outstanding tuition ? I have paid the school a desposit and Iam happy to forgo the deposit. I have sent an email to the school asking me to withdraw from the Program. The school responded back asking me to confirm that iam aware of the tuition involved with withdrawing from the program at this point. I have only attended 2 sessions of classes and dont want to pay a boatload for the entire semester. Is there a solution to avoid paying to classes that i will not attend ?
Expert:  John Legal replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You tuition agreement with the school is essentially a civil contract. If the agreement says that you owe 100% of the tuition after a certain deadline then your original agreement and subsequent withdrawal can be considered a breach of contract and you would owe what ever the contract says that you continue to owe. There is not a law that would prevent them from enforcing their contract for tuition with you.

The way such a contract would be enforced by the school would be to sue you in civil court for breach of contract. It is going to be up to the school on whether they will ever go after you for breach of contract. Here is a link to the various states statutes of limitations on a written contract like this. Find your state and you will see how long the school has to sue you for breach of contract. If they do not sue you within the time of the statute of limitations then they are forever barred from suing you on this contract.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Legal, Attorney
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need a solution or atleast a possible alternative path for my issue and i do not see this in the response.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The link to various states statutes of limitations on a written contract is missing.

Sorry, I failed to include the link: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/statute-of-limitations-for-breach-of-contract-actions.html

I appreciate the rating. Please note that other experts agree with me. I am sorry that you have gotten yourself in a bit of a mess. Lawyers cannot get people out of every issue they create. Unfortunately you agreed to this contract. When you are an adult and agree to a contract you are liable for the costs when you breach the contract.