Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Can non-vet tech pet sitter give insulin injections in Vir

Can non-vet tech pet sitter give insulin injections in Virginia
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under the VA law, according to the American Veterinary Association, "VTs performing acts relating to maintenance of the health of or treatment of any animal require immediate and direct supervision and control of a veterinarian. In addition, the Board of Veterinary Medicine may register equine dental technicians under regulation of the Board. Permissible duties are planing or leveling of equine teeth using nonmotorized hand tools for routine dental maintenance, or planing or leveling using motorized tools, or the extraction of wolf teeth under the direct supervision of a veterinarian. No equine dental technician may administer any sedative, tranquilizer, analgesic, prescription medication, or drug."

Thus, as insulin is a prescription medication, a non-vet cannot give the shots in VA.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Then why is it OK for owners to give shots to their pets?

Thank you for your follow up.

The reason a pet owner can give their own pet injections is that they own the property and are not in the business of pet sitting or in a business where they are acting like a vet and charging people for services. This is the same reason a farmer can inject his own animals and does not need the vet to come out to do it, because the farmer owns the property and if he does something to his pets it is his property damaged. If you as a sitter injure or improperly inject the pet you are liable for the damages.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does this apply to medication, oral and topical, as well?

It applies to any prescription oral or injectable medications. As far as topical cream that is not covered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What happens if the customer signs a waiver sayings its OK?

I am afraid that would still violate the VA code.